W5100 is used for Gateway node of 6LoWPAN system. This product is made by libelium.
Currently IBM and Libelium have joined efforts to offer a unique IPv6 development platform for sensor networks and the Internet of Things (IoT). By integrating the IBM Mote Runner SDK on top of Libelium Waspmote sensor platform we get a unique and powerful tool for developers and researchers interested in 6LoWPAN / IPv6 connectivity for the Internet of Things.
» General characteristics
» Node Types
- End Node : These nodes have sensors integrated and are used to gather the information and send to the GW. They create a mesh network among them, forwarding the packets of other nodes in order to make the information reach the GW. Each End Node is equipped with a 6LoWPAN radio, sensors and a battery.
- Gateway (GW) : This node takes the information sent by the End Nodes and send it to the Tunnelling IPv4 / IPv6 server by using the Ethernet IPv4 interface. Each GW Node is equipped with a 6LoWPAN radio and a Ethernet interface and a battery.
» Network Topology
In the diagram below we can see how the Waspmote Mote Runner 6LoWPAN / IPv6 Network works.
- The sensor nodes uses the 6LoWPAN protocol over the 802.15.4 link layer to create a mesh network which interconnects any device in the network with the Gateway (GW).
- Once the GW takes the 6LoWPAN packets, it changes the IP header to IPv4 while keeping the UDP transport layer.
- Then it sends the information to the IPv4 / IPv6 Tunneling machine which will change header to a the proper IPv6 format and will send the information to IPv6 Servers located on the Internet, where users are connected.
* The GW and the Tunneling Machine are intended to be a single device in the future.
» 6LoWPAN / IPv6 Radios
6LoWPAN Radio (2.4GHz)
6LoWPAN Radio (868MHz)
Ethernet Module (GW)
For more information, Refer to this URL.